PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2014, 13:21
MANFOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even as a MAN fan, I have to say I think Skip makes a fair point about the 4 AA hubs and equipment type.

While I can see come consolidation on those destinations, hopefully with some larger a/c, I do wonder if alternative hubs which provide different / wider connecting opportunities might be a possibility. I suppose Miami with connections to S America and the Caribbean, plus potential cruise business, is the obvious candidate.

At a meeting I attended last year, I was quite surprised to learn from a senior executive of MAG that MAN's most underserved destination, despite existing services, was New York, presumably due in part to a higher proportion of O & D traffic. This was taking into account passengers within our catchment area who bypassed MAN to fly from LHR or via other airports, as well as pax flying from MAN but not on our non-stop flights. If AA pulled off JFK (but kept PHL), a single B757 by UAL would surely be inadequate, although they might be tempted to go 2 x daily again (at the expense of IAD? - I hope not) like EDI or introduce a larger a/c. Their J class, albeit with only 16 seats, seems to do well and when I've checked I've not found any significant discounting of fares.

The other destinations which have been tried before are Dallas and Boston. The latter is more O & D although MAN, while not a hub, does I understand get a modest number of transfer pax for US flights including some from mainland Europe. However, Dublin may prove a more attractive transfer option for pax heading for Boston from airports without a direct service.

Last edited by MANFOD; 7th Apr 2014 at 13:32.