PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2014, 13:12
LAX_LHR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think too many of here are slightly obsessed with "direct long-haul" services as if this is the be all and end all of the airport. Personally I don't think it ever has been and I can't see any scenario, even in the medium term, where it would be.
I think 'obsession' is a little harsh. Most talk on these boards regarding long haul comes on the back of rumours, or, the odd one or 2 routes that we think *could* be served, such as Beijing.

The latest talk on here regarding has been about Cathay Pacific who are rumoured from several very good sources to be launching MAN flights, which rightly allows us to get excited as its got the potential to be a good route and finally gets a scheduled link to China into the regions.

Ive certainly seen little talk that it is the 'be all and end all', but, when we are in the rather blessed position whereby nearly all the major capitals and cities of Europe are served from MAN that are realistically going to be served, then why not set aspirations for long haul (personally the only realistic links missing are Bucharest, St. Petersburg, Stuttgart, Lyon (summer), Marseille and Oporto, with routes underserved being Madrid and Vienna).

At least its realistic long haul, and not Brazil, Peru and Timbuktoo we expect