PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2014, 15:18
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Radial engines cant be compared to Lyc or Cont engines.
yr right,
With the very greatest of respect, absolute bollox.
Engineering wise, the individual cylinder don't know how they are arranged around the crankshaft.
I have been operating both radial and flat engines for about 50+ years, with the same results.Good results.
You have undoubtedly seen some lousy exhaust valves and seats, as I have, but you have absolutely no way of determining that running lean of peak caused the problem.
I am always fascinated by the idea that opiniated non-flying LAMEs or LAMEs with a pilot license but limited flying experience so often claim to know more about engine handling than a properly trained pilot, properly being the operative word.
I disagree with JABA on quite a few subjects, but on engine handling and running lean of peak, he is spot on. He understands, in this day and age, what was common knowledge 50+ years ago.
The only difference is that, with GAMIjectors and modern engine monitoring gear, it can now all be done with greater efficiency
Tootle pip!!

PS: With the first aircraft I owned,a Chipmunk, I could tell when the plugs needed attention, by the way the engine, when gliding with the throttle closed, rattled the canopy.