PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Still flying after Ansett & related stuff - Vol 2.
Old 24th Apr 2003, 16:24
Aussierotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a lot of people live in the past world.
About the only union that you would be scabbed for life these days is the building industry.
Times have changed ,unions are on the way out,and in most companies you can still be a member of a union but it has no pulling power.
Ive been in mining for years when the union ruled the way,but now most mining companies are on workplace agreement------why--because they offered more money,a yearly salary etc.Sure they can be pricks but the ones that stayed in the union got no pay rises for years as they were on an old award.
All new starters must sign the workplace agreement and stay on it for 3 years---then they can join a union ,but the company will meet or better any wages they may get.Industrial action is a waste of time as their numbers wouldnt affect the operations.
And even a lot of the good old coal mines are going that way.
Was an easy decision for me as now i get paid for a years work and dont have to worry about a month or more without getting payed.

Im surprised the Ansett thing has lasted so long-------as for future sons being included in the scab name------get a life.
Theres a small minority that carry a grudge,die hard union men and i bet have a loverly english accent