PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Engine Fire checklist
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2014, 06:06
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
When I was in the RAAF the story went around of a C130A Hercules QFI (check captain in airline parlance) with the nickname of "Twisty." Before engine start he would tie a plumb line (a lead weight attached to a line used to determine if a wall was vertical) to the overhead panel and dangle it between the two pilots. You guessed it - he wanted to see if the aircraft was skidding or slipping during instrument rating tests. Now you can see why he was called "Twisty". He would sit in the RH seat and right from the get-go would scribble notes furiously on a note pad for de-briefing purposes. It was most distracting as you can imagine.

One day he is there to conduct an instrument rating test on a Royal Air Force exchange C130 captain, who had little time for Twisty's little games.

As usual, Twisty hung his plumb line on the cockpit roof. The RAF pilot gravely looked across the flight deck at Twisty and pulling a set of scissors, calmly cut the line in half. That buggered the slip and skid assessment.

Twisty got his knickers in a knot and started to scribble furiously on his note pad. Whereupon, the RAF pilot (I think his name was Flight Lieutenant Woods), delved into his own nav.bag and produced a similar note pad and he too scribbled furiously.

During the flight as soon as Twisty scribbled comments, F/L Woods would do the same. Two pilots scribbling hate notes about each other. I would love to see that in present day simulator checks. That story went around the RAAF for years. Which is why I remember it. I cannot vouchsafe for absolute accuracy, as these stories tend to be embellished with recounting. But knowing Twisty, who was on my Pilots Course, I can believe it. If you read this Twisty, tell us the truth