PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2014 Typhoon display jet 'special' colour scheme...
Old 2nd Apr 2014, 19:02
MAINJAFAD

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I didn't design the scheme, Aber Ratman did, I did a Jaguar profile for another project and he used it (after I taught him how to use the software that was used to design the scheme on). The original design was just the Fin, spine and drop tanks. The final design was based on the wishes of the OC 6 Sqn at the time and was based on keeping the amount of paint under the 25% limit (Had Aber known that AOC 1 Gp wanted a Pink Gulf War 1 jet as well (there was still one operational GR3 which had taken part in the 1991 conflict at the time and its the only aircraft to be painted in a permanent finish of Desert Pink (all other aircraft ever in that scheme were painted in a temporary ARTF finish)), he may have gone the whole hog on the Jaguar (big cat) camouflage instead of having it look like the outer paint job was peeling off to show what was underneath. A 74 sqn Phantom was painted up in a full tiger scheme in 92, but it never flew in that paint scheme.

The basic problem is that any Typhoon or Tornado in service has to be an operational and deployable airframe, which limits what scheme can be put on the aircraft (and as stated in my first post, there can be unknown effects on aircraft systems caused by what colour the aircraft is painted (the normal schemes will have been trialed first), plus the fact there are major parts of the airframe that cannot be painted (i.e. Radome and aerial covers, etc). The Jaguar scheme was approved because the fleet was already non operational when CinC Strike approved the scheme on 31st March 2007 (it was one of the last actions ever done by a CinC Strike). The Tucano / Hawk boys can get away with it because the aircraft have a 2nd line role only.

As for me doing it, Already handed in the ID card I'm afraid, though if I'd done that scheme, the bird head on the fin would have been gold to make it stand out. They may have tried to do that and the paint shop shot it down. The Jaguar was to have had A type (Red/White/Blue) fin flash on it, the paint shop at Conz couldn't / wouldn't do it so a standard jag fin flash was used instead.

Last edited by MAINJAFAD; 2nd Apr 2014 at 21:20.