PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA Enroute-IR minimum ceiling?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2014, 18:35
stuartforrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hardest part is after your licence or rating

I remember when I passed my driving test. I then proceeded to drive badly for some time before experience helped me deal with situations. That is exactly the same in a plane. I did my PPL many years ago and flew badly for some time. I was probably a serious hazard to myself but gradually I have become better at flying which has given me more time to spend making good decisions.

I have an MM rating, sorry I meant IRR rating on my new EASA licence and I use it to fly my Bonanza in cloud to get to destinations. I have also done some real instrument approaches into various airfields. I genuinely believe I am gradually getting better at that too with more experience but I dont take it lightly. I dont fly so much instrument flight that I can get loads of practice but I certainly see it as a viable part of my flying, not a get out of jail rating.

I for one cant wait for the EIR and yes it will give me some pretty cool extra privileges which I dont have now with a bit more training but I think I can cope with it. IN FACT I have also flown some instrument flights with a IR rated pilot in both my Bonanza, a twin and two different jets and it is ridiculous to suggest that you need some super powers to do that. Try bouncing around in cloud at 4,000ft under an airway to get to your destination while instrument rated pilots are getting full guidance at 10,000ft. Its so easy flying with a full IR instead of an IMC rating. I accept there may be many challenges for more serious IR flying but for me switching my Disney rating to an EIR would make my flights considerably safer and considerably easier. They would still be the same flights.

For reference I never ever would consider approaching on an ILS down to 200ft. I value my family and kids and myself too much. I guess that applies to just about every IMC rated pilot and thats why they dont crash often. I agree with the comments above that it is B.S. that every IMC rated pilot will be crashing into airliners and those superb IR pilots in their Cessna 152's in an airway.

I think the current airspace is outrageous. Pilots with PPL's and IMC have to spend their lives dodging around airspace reserved for IR pilots!

Does anyone know when the EIR will be law. I want one.