PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss 146 engine explodes at London City
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2014, 11:34
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
mixture [re boots]
That must be a bit tedious for you going through security at the airport.
Considerably. The metal eyelets and hooks are large and always set off the metal detector. But I got used to wearing them in 'the good old days' when I was a student and won't change my ways. Stubborn old git?? Moi??

Re: Staff at exit door to remove stuff from pax
Unfortunately, taking the stuff off the pax at the door provides an argument and a growing pile of stuff.
llondel I think you have a great idea

ExXB A good question and I am fairly confident that the answer is: No.
All the test evacuations for certification are done by folks who know from the moment they sign the form (days in advance) what is going to happen.

The a/c is on the ground and they are waiting for the 'off', often the a/c is in a hangar! They are not disctracted by having already had too many drinks in the lounge and flopped into their seat, in a strange a/c taxing out in darkness. Or be hardly awake after 12hrs sector. Etcetera.

I recall watching a film of one such practice for certification (A380, I think) and it was obvious that it was going to work. I don't think anyone doubts that such tests are almost pointless and are left over from earlier aviation days. But - like the stupid liquids ban - no one is going to change the rules.

Also, no one is going to hire 300 'extras' and get them to sign a form for a mystery flight and subject them to an unexpected evacuation. It should be done but it won't be.

On the other hand, it probably doesn't make any difference. We can see that the few runway evacs in recent years have gone reasonably well (Noting, Asiana 777 with pax under the foam) and I suspect that pax have probably ALWAYS been taking hand luggage with them. It's just that we have not had instant photographs to tell us so.