PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to thread drift in 720 posts!!!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2014, 04:52
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Progressive,

I think you may have confused yourself with what I said Vs what we both know is prudent and generally legal.

It is possible that a certain manufacturer does not specify a 50hr oil change. I have never seen one, but there could be, and so if by Sched 5 and AD/Eng/4 it points to the aircraft manual and it does not, then legally it does not. As best I can tell.

As for Creamies post, I think that explains it all.

Ok spark plugs. I am not sure how you did not follow what I said. If you need to call me please do, happy to chat, but let me try to explain in more detail.
Next is spark plugs and magneto's. If they are fine wires, then no big deal. 100 hrs is fine. All they need is a resistance check and checked for cleanliness. If they are Champion, this is far more critical.
Massive electrodes need to be cleaned and gapped every 50 hours (+/-10%) not by law but because the gaps change out of spec in that time. By 100 hours they are usually outside 0.018" and I can pick them on the EMS and with my calibrated butt!

Fine wires, they rarely need cleaning, unless the operator is a poor mixture knob user. (I have a solution to that) and the gaps stay very reliable even out to 1000+ hours. As Creamie noted.....nobody is touching his fine wires!

Champion Vs another major brand. Champions are a great plug and work fine but they have a very short life in the resistor, typically 300 hours is when they start to drift and once at 5k ohms they go in the bin. This is important for other reasons than just good smooth running.

As for the magnetos, type of plug fitted has nothing to do with the rate of wear in points, gears, capacitors and other components so advising that less than normal maintenance is "no big deal" is just plain wrong.
As for magneto's......where on earth did you get the idea I said anything of the sort...go back and read again please. This thread was about 50 hour oil changes and out to 100 hours. Now you are talking about 500 hour Magneto inspections. By the way I agree with your comments about checking them, very strongly, you have 100% support there

But I must pull up one point. You suggest that spark plugs have nothing to do with magneto's. Well this seems to be something that even CASA failed to address in a recent AWB on magnetos where they talked about coils suffering from heat stress yet they have no idea where this magical extra heat stress comes from. No it is not the continual heat from years of operation. It is from years and hundreds or thousands of hours of operating on plugs with high resistance. Problem is not many folk know this and it is a long forgotten bit of knowledge. I hope that helps

I know what I am looking at during oil analysis, engine monitoring, and bore-scope inspections and none of these things will identify a cracked crankcase, cracked cylinder head (not yet separated), holed muffler or any one of 100 other things that can kill you and can only be found by good old MK1 eyeballs.
Maybe I am over reacting here but where did I say that this was a good idea not to do these things? I think we are in an extreme case of agreement here. BTW my plane gets an almost 100hrly every 50 or less, and it gets two 100hrlys and an annual per year. So I am on your side here.

Now just a note though, you say that there are things you can't see with an EMS, well holes in exhaust systems can at times be found, broken flame cones too. Maybe you might be surprised what an EMS tells you. By the way I have a suggestion on where that and many more things can be learned. But I will be accused of advertising a course which is run not to make profit, but is a company none the less.

It may be legal to operate a private aircraft over 100 hours without inspection but it is definitely not prudent.
Yep....we are in severe agreement once again.