PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK hiring.
Thread: EK hiring.
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2014, 06:38
SMOC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From another PPRUNE thread posted Today.

http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/53...decs-ek-4.html

Like Harry said, Emirates pay according to recruitment and retention.
Unfortunately, they don't pay according to PPRuNe.

The guys on here are not management. They are just trying to compare honest and accurate pay rates. It should be pretty simple and objective analysis.

Whether you actually like working for EK and living in Dubai, is a different thing. It is subjective. It is a pointless task, trying to argue who is right or wrong on this.

Back to the objective comparison.

New EK First Officer:
FOs start on (near as damn it), US$100K, without the housing allowance.
That's US$ 110 per hour for 900 hours work.
If tax in the US is 25%, then that's equivalent to US$146. Very similar to a year 3 Delta 777 FO. (I'm assuming BDD's figures are pre-tax and correct)

12 year EK Captain:
US$ 157,000. (no housing allowance)
That's US$175 per hour for 900 hours.
Before US tax is US$ 233.
Not as good as a Delta Captain.

It then gets a bit complicated...
How much the housing allowance is worth to each individual in Emirates is quite subjective.
Guys who own a house in Dubai tend to consider the Housing Allowance as part of their salary. I include myself in that. It pays my mortgage. Why would I not? No different to back home.

If you are in company accommodation and don't own any other property, the benefit might seem a little opaque. In reality it is still there. Free accommodation and bills is definitely a benefit. But how much an individual perceive that benefit, varies. A lot.

If the 12 year EK Captain includes his allowance, then the figures change quite a bit:
12 year EK Captain. US$ 230 per hour. This would need to be US$305 before a tax rate of 25% in the US.
This is above BDD's figures for a Delta Captain.

Alconguin Crusader apologises for trying to improve T&Cs. He says:
Quote:
Sorry for trying to raise the T&C here to better reflect International standards
Fair enough to him.

I think most guys are just trying to find some honesty.