PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FERRYING AND AIRCRAFT FROM THE USA
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2014, 02:27
dhavillandpilot

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The final sectors

After arriving and clearing customs we were introduced back to The Australian hospitality industry. What a shock, cheap second rate rooms at top dollar. It is no wonder people opt to go to Asia for holidays instead of our own country.

BROOME . ALICE SPRINGS.

Back in the land of anything goes. A nice easy flight at FL115 into Alice Springs where the temperature was around 35 C.

ALICE SPRINGS . DUBBO . WOLLONGONG

Again an easy flight at FL115 into Dubbo to refuel before heading to Sydbey Bankstown.

After refuelling we headed off along the airways, weather reasonable but a wall of cloud approaching Katoomba. As we did not have radar and CBs were forecasted I had elected to go VFR. Looking at the BOM weather all I could now see was a wall of heavy rain and imbedded TS, just what I needed to finish off the ferry.

Taking the view of live coward is better Han dead hero we turned south until level with Nowra then cross to the coast and into Wollongong. So close and yet so far.

WOLLONGONG . BANKSTOWN

If ever the hardest sector this would have to be it. A US registered aircraft VFR and only IFR charts, just wonderful. Thank goodness for GPS's with the red warning flashes if you are about to enter CTA or restricted zones.

Finally established into Bankstown CTA and home. After landing the final joke was fro. The friendly Bankstown ground controller, when he asked if I needed guidance - my answer was a friendly no thanks after 40 years of Bankstown I knew my way around.

SUMMARY OF EACH COUNTRY

USA

As many people will attest, the USA is the easiest and most friendly country to fly around. Virtually every where is direct radar vectoring for tracking. Service on the ground from the FBO's is great, and if you buy sufficient fuel at no charge.

Overall cost of doing business is cheaper than Australia, even with their local state taxes.

But overall the best summary is their friendliness and willing to assist.

CANADA

Similar comments to the of the USA except you do pay for handling. If any of you are heading north in Canada it is worth planning to pick up more fuel in the North as it is cheaper due to different taxes.

Can recommend Frobisher Bay as a stop over.

GREENLAND

Very European, good service but expensive for accommodation and meals. We went via the northern route which is slightly longer than South, but due to a lack of Avgas down south there was little choice.

You definitely need to check fuel supplies before choosing your Greenland destination. You should also carry enough fuel to divert not just to one location but two if possible.

As we were in a high performance pressurised twin our choices were better than most. But if we had had a Piper Chieftain I would suggest carrying liable oxygen and getting up high to cross the ice cap.

Out of all my flying experience the flight into and out of Greenland would have to be one of the highlights of my career.

ICELAND

Again very European, professional and friendly.

TRANS ATLANTIC CROSSING

Before embarking I had researched heavily the details and there are a number of good sites on the web with adequate information.

My one regret was spending money having a HF set fitted in the USA. At FL150 with a track slightly north towards the Farroe Islands you don't need HF as the VHF coverage is excellent. Basically spent 20K for nothing.

SCOTLAND/ENGLAND

For a small island country with crowded airways routes, ustalia could learn something about operations. The controllers were professional, treated everybody well irrespective of wether you were a B747, B737 or Piper, all revolved around the category you elected to fly under.

Even crossing the busiest part of London CTA

But, like everything there is a down side and it is cost.

I can thoroughly recommend going into Biggin Hill, London. And if ever you need airraft servicing Falcon Air Services gets my vote.

FRANCE

What can one say, when you land the the sweetest young French girl comes Long to take your landing fees.

As a region France was easy and the services excellent.

MALTA

This was my favourite country to visit. Easy well serviced and aviation orientated.

GREECE

Dis organised, expensive for a European country and disappointing

EGYPT

A country to avoid if possible whe. Ferrying aircraft. expensive and at the moment very dangerous. Would suggest as an alternate use Acaba in Jordon and then along the Emirate states.

SAUDI ARABIA

Similar to Egypt, except much safer, but use Jordon.

EMIRATES

We were able to avoid these, but if you needed would suggest Sharjah as it tends to be smaller and easier to deal with. And for those who ae aviation tragics they have a beat museum, with one of my old air rat I. It.

OMAN

Cannot recommend highly enough this as a transit stop, we'll serviced at reasonable costs and a more European attitude to life - probably the British influence.

PAKISTAN

Similar to Egypt, but most aircaft cannot make the distance without stopping here. Felt decidedly unsafe.

INDIA

India has greatly improved since my last ferry, but Avgas is a problem. It is expensive but reasonable service. Nagpur is a quick easy transit spot,

Calcutta should have been my choice but as we did not have visas it was not possible.

FOR EVERYONE GOING TO INDIA GET CREW VISAS PRIOR TO DEPARTING IT IS. NO LONGER POSSIBLE TO GE THE. ON ARRIVAL EVEN FOR AIRCREW.

BANGLADESH

Ferry crew should Void this at all costs. It is expensive and although some of the Bangladeshis you deal with are honest and friendly the unfortunate part is the ones who deal with General aviation will see you as a cash cow to take as much money as possible.

THAILAND

A country with a good general aviation sector. but avoid Dom Maung at all costs. You are better going into the smaller International regional airports to clear customs.

SINGAPORE

Easy efficient, and it is possible to do your own handling, if you pre plan aNd have all the required documents.

INDONESIA

relatively easy but you cannot get Way without a handling age t, it is just their way of life.

AUSTRALIA

entering Australia, even for me a citizen required pre planning. You need to advise IMmigateion and customs as well as AQUIS don't rely on just flig planning and the. Turning up- it won't work.

Also pre arrange a customs broker to enter the aircraft for imPort and pre pay the GST. It will save you a great deal of time.

OVERALL

1. Get a good clearance handling company. You don't need anyone thru the USA Canada and Europe but everywhere else is a must. we used Mike Gray fro. White rose in the UK and I couldn't speak more highly of him

2. Preplan everything

3. Charts I elected to go with Jepperson hard copy charts, but I'm a ludite. Next to e I'm going to opt for the IPad charts and the. Just print off the one needed.

4. Cash take plenty of US and Euros. Break them down into groups of 2000, and the. Disperse the. Around the aircraft. we hid these packets behind fuselage and wing panels. BUT do declare all the currency you are carrying if required. It is not worth the risk.

5. FUEL you have to either pre arrange or pre pay for a fuel thru the Middle East and Asia if you require Avgas. DON'T ASSUME IT WILL BE AVAILABLE. Your clearance company should be able to do the for you.

6. Business cards, get the. Made up with the title Captain I front of your name. Called visiting cards in India and Bangladesh, they open. Numbers of doors.

7. ID if Australian get a proper CASA ID not an Avid card. I found everywhere I went my I'd was accepted

8 Uniform. Wear a uniform, not jeans and a white shirt, BUT uniform shirt with epaulettes (3 bars) blue or black trousers and black POLISHED shoes with you ID around your neck. Wings do help. You might say what a "wank" but third world countries put great store in appreance

9 Don't stint on cheap accommodation remember you will be flying long sectors and need decent rest.

10 Careful what you eat on the ground

11 Even more careful what you eat and drink when flying.

12 Take a large container that you can use for the call of nature. IT WILL HAPPEN

13 Have I the cockpit a set of spanners and screw drivers including very small ones. They will become your godsend when you need to do a running repair in flight.

14 have a Sat phone. Great items that allow you to call the world from any where

15 The final advise would be to chill out. Just remember you aRe travelling thru other people's countries with their traditions. Just take a deep breath and look at their side of the coin.This doesn't mean you have to accept being cheated and robbed just because you Re perceived to be wealth.

SO IF YOU GET THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO A FERRY TAKE IT AS THE EXPERIENCE IS GREAT.

AND THE FINAL PART WHY PICK THE CHOSEN ROUTE

I looked at the Pacific and did the costing. By the time you tank the aircraft and get all the approvals, it works out at around the same cost as the route I finally chose, including accommodation.

There is the added problem of flying an overloaded aircraft for take offs. The commander would have been 20% over weight out of California. You are supposed to only be 10%.

I have survived aviation for over 40 years by not taking risks, I certainly didn't want to this time.

The northern pacific route is not possible as their is little or no Avgas over much of this route. plus Russia would have been a nightmare.

I HOPE YOU ALL ENJOYED SHARING MY ADVENTURE. I HAVE ONE MORE OF THESE COMMANDERS IN THE STATES THAT I HAVE TO FERRY OUT NEXT YEAR. HOPEFULLY THIS ONE WILL BE EASIER.

DHAVILLANDPILOT