PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GATWICK
Thread: GATWICK
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2014, 22:59
vectisman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skip ness
I believe aircraft utilisation has improved over the past year.
True BA have far fewer departures but seem happy enough with recent yield. Hence the short and long haul expansion this year. I know nothing like the network reach as in the late 1990s/early 2000s but in terms of actual daily movements quite similar. Sadly I have been through timetables from that time and counted. I know I need to get out more!
I think we also need to remember that easyjet and others also tend to start flying earlier in the day. A few years ago very early morning deps were rare except amongst charter carriers.
When you look at the Gatwick arrival/departure boards you can easily see the easyjet waves. BA tend to be spread more evenly throughout the day.
Apparently BA did bid for the Flybe slots but didn't want them until 2015 so they went to easyjet. Willie Walsh did say at the capital markets day that BA would still be able to expand at Gatwick using other available slots. (And I suppose without having to pay £25 million which must help the bottom line!) I believe more destinations both winter and summer will be available from Winter 2014/2015 when the short haul fleet becomes all airbus.

V.