PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things have to get worse before they can get better
Old 29th Mar 2014, 04:08
lifeafteraviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the real people that are arguing against the importance of experience are people who own and finance airlines and inexperienced pilots.

I can understand both but the inexperienced pilots who take low paying jobs will soon realize that their salaries don't go up as they gain experience, they just get replaced.

The facts are that modern commercial jet aircraft are highly automated, highly reliable, and very easy to fly compared to older aircraft. They are designed to be so highly automated and redundant as to be largely "idiot proof." Modern flight training techniques are very good as well.

Yes experienced pilots in the cockpit are great to have but the airlines are realizing they're not necessary. The frequency of accidents with inexperienced pilots and modern aircraft is lower than historic rates of highly experienced pilots flying older aircraft. In other words, the aircraft are compensating for inexperience and there's no objective data to show that inexperienced pilots are less safe.

Pilots have become a commodity and are easily replaced with new pilots. The topic of this thread states that things must get worse before they get better and it's absolutely true. Basically high paying piloting jobs will become so rare that the dream or the promise will no longer be enough incentive for people to invest so much in the career. But I think the result will be that the profession becomes less prestigious and the airlines will simply follow the Chinese model of hiring and training kids out of school and paying them average wages (except they will do it far more efficiently). It will be a good job but not great....on par with a train operator. We may likely even see single pilot cockpits.

That's where I see the future heading and the professionals will move on to other careers...thus my handle ..."life after aviation"

Maybe some of us will find jobs flying older planes with "steam gauge" panels and cable flight controls or heaven forbid....propellers...that these younger generation of pilots would be incapable of handling safely.