PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FERRYING AND AIRCRAFT FROM THE USA
View Single Post
Old 29th Mar 2014, 01:38
dhavillandpilot

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Next segment UTOPAH to Broome

Last time I left the readers having to remove the de ice boots in Thailand.

UTOPAH . SELETAR (Singapore)

After take off from UTOPAH we heading across the Gulf of Siam, where MH307 was flying. The controllers we excellent and we headed off in clear weather at FL120.

The route we took entailed crossing the Malay peninsula along the main airways route and down the western edge.

Overhead Kuala Lumpur was a breeze with controllers being very professional. But the weather now began to change. It went from clear skies to overcast to rain to heavy tropical rain.

As we neared Singapore from the north, it was just like flying around the USA with radar vectoring.

Finally in the circuit at SELETAR between a CL601 in front and B757 behind, that really keeps you on your game.

After landing our handling agent didn't show so we did our own thing, extremely easy and no fuss.

The only problem with SELETAR is it is quiet a way from the main city so getting a taxi tends to be hard. Eventually we got to a hotel and settled in for beer and steak.

Next day since our handling agent hadn't turned up I did it myself, saving around $US500, again if you know what to customs immigration is straight forward.

Next was the fuel, and what a pleasure to finally find a fuelling agent that not only knew his stuff but actually took a carnet card. Fuel cost $US3 per litre.

SELETAR . BALI (Indonesia)

Take off was early with an Easy SID, to FL 130.

As we flew along the coast we now encountered Indonesian control, now as proficient as Malaysian or Singapore, but they virtually left us alone. That was until we approached Bali.

On track are a series of Volcanoes that go to 13500 so the controllers wanted us to go to FL160, but with limited pressurisation and not wanting to go onto oxygen we elected to revert to VFR and go east out to sea.

Once over the Island of Bali, the controllers were really good, approaching the airport was the biggest CB I'd seen I'd seen in along time.

These controllers were excellent and vectored us around the weather for a straight in approach. Once on the ground the heavens opened up with torrential rain.

Handling in Bali is now done by Execujet, with a brand new facility. Handling cast was $US400 and the service first rate. Fuel was $2.80 per litre.

BALI . BALI

how to become a chicken.

We took off relatively early to fly across the Timor sea into Broome. However after about an hour the right hand engine began to show low boost, couple this with a line of CBs and it was a 180 degree turn and back to Bali.

Upon landing Craig the engineer discovered a sticking valve in the FCU was the cause. So rather than venture out again we over nighted in Bali

BALI . BROOME

Finally we had decent weather and took off for Australia at Fl130

This time the weather was excellent and the feeling when we transferred to an Australian controller was sheer relief .

After landing we were in the hands of Australian Customs and AQUIS. Customs were great, but AQUIS, doing their job had us sitting in the aircraft gasping while we sprayed for bugs. After 10 minutes we were allowed out and finally set foot on Australian soil. All I had to do was pay the GST before we could move the aircraft.

I WILL DO THE FINAL PART IN ABOUT TWO DAYS, WITH A COMPLETE SUMMARY OF EACH COUNTRY.

ANY OF YOU CONTEMPLATING A FERRY FLIGHT I AM HAPPY TO ANSWER YOU QUESTIONS AND GIVE YOU SOME TIPS ON WHO TO TALK TO.