PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss 146 engine explodes at London City
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2014, 14:30
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, After the loud bangs, flame and smoke display, the FD shuts down.... the Pax sit in a silent, "dead" aorcraft and the order is given to evacuate.....I,m somewhere in the middle, Ican neither seeany smoke,or flame through the 2 open doors, nor from the windows.....the queues are shuffling towards the slides, it's apparent there is ano urgency to clear, by those already on the ground.....I assess that it will take ~30 seconds to recover my valuables, I also assess the evacuation was an over-reaction...(distinct absence of * Police*, Fire Appliances, ambulances, ground-marshalls) and i'm now 4 paces behind the person in front.....butAluminium shuffler would have me hung, drawn and quartered, because someone blindly followed an escape-routine which was a total over-reaction.

A simple surge-situation now involves all the reparations, ferry flight, cost of new slides, time out of service.......

Where there are real and urgent needs for evacuation, I'd be there with the CC, snatching bags and launching the owners onto the slides..... but this wasn. t the case....a passive, silent aircraft...you really think all the Pax are so thick they can't work it out?......OH! so it might explode in another ball of fire? real clever to deploy slides on the same side then!...YES, I'm certain the FD would know which side the malfunction was on, and where the prevailing wind was from hint...turn the a/c , if necessary, so the flames blow away from the pax-area, THEN shut down the rest of the donks.... that saves a damned sight more lives than leaving bags behind when there's no urgency.

just my opinion, of course..