PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shortage of FI's in Scotland
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2014, 21:55
sapperkenno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shortage of FI's in Scotland

"You don't need the CPL theory either..."
Why should you, to train a PPL? If the subject matter was relevant, I might agree that all instructors should have such knowledge. As it stands it's just a load of BS, and with exams at £80 a pop and compulsory groundschool, it costs way too much for a lot of people. I also disagree that extra credit should be given to someone having an fATPL who has failed to get an airline job and then ends up clutching at straws trying to become an FI instead. If somebody was stupid enough to rack up loads of debt without promise or any real opportunity of getting a job, then that's their own fault. Whereas, if another person played their cards right, and attained the hours and experience as a PPL holder, and then passed an FI course, they should be just as employable as an fATPL holder (with little or no real world experience) FI. It's these silly sods who have already paid through the nose for a CPL/MEIR and are happy to prostitute themselves and pay to fly that are knacking the entire industry anyway.

Compared to the FAA system, with a single written exam containing appropriate questions, and in depth oral examinations for each checkride, the EASA system leaves a lot to be desired IMHO.

Just my view as a FAA Commercial/Multi/Instrument CFI/CFII and EASA PPL FI... Who isn't deemed suitable to instruct a EASA PPL (even though he trains NPPL students to the same standards, and can instruct FAA commercial/instrument students) unless he sits 14 written exams.