PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shortage of FI's in Scotland
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2014, 22:38
Ops and Mops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its all good training for the airlines, if you can't hack it in a flying club you will be murdered in an airline as a FO. Which is why those that struggle with it in the club environment get bypassed when the recruitment slots come round.

Life isn't fair flying the line. Once you come to realise this you will always be unhappy if it a big issue for you.
I think anyone that thinks that flying for an airline will mean career utopia has to be very short sighted, blinkered and/or naive. The same is true for any walk of life, even if you work for yourself.

On the contrary to your statement, I know of several airline TRI/TRE and senior captains (including major carriers) that did not put up with being shat on by a flying club ops mgr trying to feather their own nest and it did not seem to hamper their career. In fact, they are now the ones that have a good working relationship with crewing, and while crewing will always try to do whatever it takes to make the roster work, a robust but polite conversation normally elicits a moment of realisation in an air of mutual respect. It's how people interact in their work environment rather than what they will "shut up and crack on with" that goes a long way to teamwork and leadership. If one does "shut up and crack on" for too long then that will eventually lead to option 2 in any case.

Flying clubs rarely have the power and influence over the airline selection market that they once did or that people believe they still hold; this includes integrated schools! Those that do have this power rarely have to bang on about the relationships they have with such airlines, and never seem to take long to fill any gaps.

I think we are ultimately singing from the same hymn sheet here, but perhaps we have just had different experiences/outlooks along the long and winding road of flying, and in common with other human beings, solve problems from different directions. I, for one, no longer have to accept that it's unfair on the line!