PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shortage of FI's in Scotland
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2014, 04:37
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst much of what you say cannot be argued against, I would suggest that for every FI that needs to "sort their own **** out", there will be a CFI, ops manager or owner that needs to do the same.
Agree

The issue of customers routinely wanting to change from a "bag egg" is easily managed through robust standardisation, acceptance checks, supervision and performance monitoring
If your ever in the position you will find out how hard it is. To get what you suggest. Even the big commercial schools struggle with that one.

is the one getting the requests from customers to do more flying with them
seems a bit strange to me as if a punter wants an instructor and there is a slot in the book that's where is goes.

however I think that many flying schools could do well spending some time looking inwardly at HOW they deliver their training/product to their customers
Every instructor would agree with you. But fundamentally its not the FI's train set. And you have two options 1. Shut up and crack on and make the best of a bad situation or 2. Get another job.

In most cases number 2 is the best option for everyone.

It doesn't change when you go to an airline. They can be heading towards destruction like an out of control train. Completely obvious to even the office cleaner but the management types won't change tracks. And sometimes your wrong and it continues on its way. I have been right twice and wrong once on that count. And I am about to be right on a third. I always went for option two when its obvious or they pissed me off to much.

some total knob heads in the business who should be summarily sacked or have their approvals withdrawn, all of whom we are seemingly powerless to stop....!
amen Brother.

I think a lot of it is either

1. The FI has come out of a responsible job and is used to being a mover and shaker. And now is back to being a resource who nobody really cares what their opinion is.

2. Its the first time the FI has had to do a hard graft job either their first job or away from an office environment. They still have the heads full of rubbish from school about how they should be treated and what there rights are or they are used to the complex office politics game which people just ignore and bulldozer there way through.

Its all good training for the airlines, if you can't hack it in a flying club you will be murdered in an airline as a FO. Which is why those that struggle with it in the club environment get bypassed when the recruitment slots come round.

Life isn't fair flying the line. Once you come to realise this you will always be unhappy if it a big issue for you.

Last edited by mad_jock; 26th Mar 2014 at 08:13.