PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Polycystic Kidney Disease - Class 1
View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2014, 03:30
spitfire_sl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADPKD

callumwilkinson,
Please think very careflly about your future choices with regards to a career in flying. I too have PKD, and have already gone through a portion of flight training.

The full legislation with regards to Class 1 and pkd can be found here:
Genitourinary Guidance Material | Medical | Personal Licences and Training
But in essence is says the following:

1. If you have PKD, you may obtain a Class 1 with an OML if you can also exclude the following:

a) Berry aneurysms need to be excluded by means of Magnetic Resonance b) angiography and cardiac valve disease (including aortic root dilatation) by means of an echocardiogram. Abdominal aortic aneurysm also needs to be excluded.

Want my advice? Go get the above done and see if youre in the clear. If you are, get yourself a class 1 medical, untill then do not give CTC a penny of your money.

I seriously suggest you have a plan B; getting your first flying job is hard enough these days, but with no experience and an OML on your medical i'd say the chaces are very slim.

Im not just saying this, im also in the same boat. I have my echocardiogram tomorrow, and am waiting for the MRI results. If I can get a class 1 with OML, i will continue flying, and train at my own pace without getting into debts. If the results are less than positive, then I guess i will stick to flying privately and just get on with the rest of my life.