PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Still flying after Ansett & related stuff - Vol 2.
Old 22nd Apr 2003, 19:43
Clive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know how you feel Zoolander.

Much to my better judgement I penned a reply to some who would consider me not a man. I intend to respect the sad day tomorrow but leave on a 4 day trip in the early AM so thought it best to beat curfew save being referred to as a lesser man again.... not that I'm overly concerned however.

Subsonic,

My apologies if you feel that I was referring to you when I talk of “name-calling” and “abuse”. This was a general reference to the 4 years of vitriol that I have witnessed here from time to time. Not necessarily from yourself, although I do sense anger that could lead you down that track… anger that I have previously indicated I fully understand. The use of your pseudonym was simply to suggest that you would be unaccepting of my children should they ignore my advice and enter the aviation industry. I feel justified in this suggestion because one of your previous posts indicated that my position “won’t wash with (you), despite the attempted white wash” and thus I assumed that in your eyes I am a scab and my family would be treated as such. I see in your later post that you clarify your stance and in fact do not accuse me of being a scab. Therefore I again apologize. Although I remain a little unsure of you intentions.

Leftfrontside,

As above - the reference to “name-calling” and “abuse hurling” was not aimed at you guys specifically, although I do feel that if you do not wish to be considered as a “hardliner” then your post on the second page of this thread could do with a little tweak. The reference related purely to chances my offspring may have in the future. Here I was probably out of line as I have gone back to the old thread and noted your temperance in relation to my position (not that this is what I was seeking from anyone as I shared my thoughts in public). Not easy to get things right when the thread is split in two. My apologies.

Subsonic (again),

The reason I did not answer your union related question was because I could see no relevance to my post (a fact that Zoolander would seem to agree), a post that called for considered reasoning from both camps. I accept you obviously see relevance so I will answer you.

Firstly I believe that freedom of association in Australia is protected in law. This is (partly at least) so that those of us unskilled in industrial relations can pay those who are to assist in these matters. This was why I joined the AFAP when I began an aviation career. The AFAP were a party to the pilot’s award until the disturbing events of 1989/90. Like most, I understand, I was not asked to resign membership from the organization following these events and I did not tender one. Therefore to this day I don’t really know what my membership status is. I assume that given no membership dues were requested, or paid, then one’s membership would be null and void. Upon re-employment in the industry I sought industrial representation via the party to the new award/contract, this being the APA. I cannot concur with your view that if I remained a financial member of the AFAP (given that they were not a party to the award/contract) this would have somehow kept me shielded from “scab city” as you call it. A subjective view, so I am willing to be corrected.

Finally, in relation to your request that I “be a man” and stay in this particular boxing ring, I say that if I were inclined to simply “sign off because I didn’t like any response” then I would have given up my 4 years of input (albeit meager in nature) long ago, as many others have over the years I might add. My reasoning behind signing off from this thread was because my belief that a voice of reason could contribute constructively by inciting a non-bellicose debate was dashed when indeed the opposite began to occur. Additionally, my intention was not to try and make “everyone like (me) for the circumstance (that) surrounded (me)”. I thought it best to declare my position prior to pontificating on matters pertinent to the time. In fact I was pretty sure my declaration would result in more angst than anything else, reasonably accurate in your case I guess.

I’m not running and hiding and I always intend to be here – often passive and when I feel the time is right – proactive, the way most use this forum I would have thought. But when I find myself yet again and the end of that “dead end street” I spoke of, I feel my time is better spent not feeding negativity but furthering my studies, keeping in touch with home, and… oh yeah…. working in this often rewarding, but more often frustrating, industry.