PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK maybe procuring AH-64E.
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2014, 09:32
MOSTAFA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry Tourist, I really appreciate the effort but that don't placate anything.

I stand by everything I said, hopefully and without boring to many, I'll repeat a couple of things. I cannot even think of a successful design to ever come out of that factory.

If you mean 'world beater' because of the speed record that's pure folly. The vast majority of army Lynx have had more variable speed restrictions placed on them than any aircraft I know - anywhere from 60 to 120kts if memory serves me right. Vibrations, all over the place, fixed, I used the word loosely, by doubler, then treblers and on and on plates till we forgot where the problem originated. Least said about the head absorber the better! Blade tips improved things a bit till they started to crack all over the place.

I'm guessing most don't know that for a least 20 years the maximum under slung load speed was to 60kts - it might still be the same? I once had to take a u/s load from Cape Orford (FI's) to Port Stanley - about as far as you could go, 120Nm'ish at 60kts in the usual 35kt wind only took best part of 4 hours and several refuels EnRoute, world beater indeed.

I am actually trying to say no more.

I'm reliably informed Lynx was an excellent platform for the Royal Navy but it was a unmittigating disaster for the Army. Respectectfully, to the deceased crew I think there is still a navy one at the bottom of some ocean somewhere where the door fell off and ripped the tail rotor off.

Last edited by MOSTAFA; 24th Mar 2014 at 10:53.