PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANZ Erebus crash 28 November 1979 - 34 years later.
Old 24th Mar 2014, 00:15
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
You are comparing apples with oranges old friend.
Yes and no.
Both cases had a minimum altitude set down in the books and in both cases that minimum altitude was not adhered to. An argument could be made that in both cases a cultural environment existed whereby pilots believed there was not a strong expectation from the powers that be that they would adhere to those minimum altitudes. Who is responsible for the development and maintenance of that airline culture? Pretty hard to nail that one down, is it the janitor? a junior line F/O? A line Captain? The chief pilot? The CEO?
Personally I did see similarities in the two crashes.
For Erebus,little was known about safety cultures and it came down to individual pilots as to their own take on the rules and regs etc, that was not the case by the time the A320 crashed. I have seen an airlines safety culture go from dismal to disciplined with the change of one key person. Incident information shared with tech crew combined with clearly stated expectations and refocused training directly impacts line pilot attitudes within months not years.
Looking to the individual pilots won't prevent further occurrences. Looking to the folk filling key roles where management meets operations can.
In my mind these are the people who could do with more training. When was the last time the management from the CP up were rostered classroom training on how to manipulate their own companies safety culture? Or do we just take it as read that they were born with that skill?
Framer