PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2014, 00:03
LN-KGL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The public transport must be great MAN777 since as much as around 15% of the passengers are not using private transport to the airport.

The frequency of trains going in to Piccadilly is alright, but the speed isn't exactly breathtaking with 9 miles covered in between 14 and 22 minutes. The return to MAN from Piccadilly can be a gamble. With an information desk not knowing, staff on the platforms not knowing, information boards not saying anything about the train being on time or not or what platform it will go from, three trains per platform, and as I entered a train pointed out to me I noticed my seat ticket didn't match the one attached to the seat - the one on the seat said York. I did finally find my train. In stead of departing 24 minutes past the hour it was delayed and departed 43 minutes past the hour with me on board. Lucky enough I had many hours to my flight to LHR. I decided to take a taxi from the airport to visit friends at the RVP. I can't say this was a enjoyable ride. The cab driver had wished for a longer trip, ended up with my short and it was not difficult to pick up the bad vibes. I hope my tip learned him something. I did my thing at RVP and had to return to the terminal. I thought I had to test the 200 bus back to the airport. In the bus shed there was a fresh timetable. The scheduled departure passed without a bus showing up. 25 minutes late a bus finally arrived and drove us to the airport. Again I know MAN pretty well - it was still over 90 minutes to my departure with Little Red as I arrived T3 - more than enough time for afternoon tea on the inside, but there was the security check hurdle. 35 minutes queuing there reduced the time for tea to an espresso and an egg and bacon sandwich at Costa.

I've been a regular traveler to MAN for 12 years now. Sadly the changes over the years have not been to the better from a passenger's standpoint and compared with other UK airports (I have 45 other to compare with) MAN has lost ground.