PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Debenair Aviation Florida
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2001, 15:27
BIG BLACK RAT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yep.....Ive been there !

The operation is run by a husband and wife team (Bill and Annette)from the North of England so you can exspect a friendly welcome and a 'spades a spade' way of doing business.

The flying very good value for money with block hours bookings cheaper than anywhere else I've ever found.

What brings the prices up is traveling costs. The company houses are a good few miles away and a car / lift is required.

Then you have the cost of the houses which are nice and quite cheap...but its another cost to add on.

Headphones...$5 a day...not much but how long are you going for ?

Finally theres the 100LL. If your not going to fill up at Space Coast then your only going to get back approx 60-70% of your fuel money!

Apart from that ( and there are pros and cons with ALL schools that Ive had dealing with ) its not a bad set up.

Make sure you book your name down for an aircraft everyday....and maybe a few days in advance too otherwise you could be out of luck !

Get there nice an early and do your checks. These aircraft are good but their also old and need careful checking. Most things can be fixed quite quickly as the tyre kickers live in the hangar next door and if not you should be able to pick up another a/c.

My advice would be to get a nice cheap fly-drive deal maybe with Airtours into Sanford. Stay at the company houses and cook yourself or with the others in the house(good kitchens...Bloomin great Walmart down the road).

Visit a Deli on the way in and buy a monster sub ($5 or make your own) with a couple of cold drinks. This will do for breakfast and dinner and save on exspensive airports food if you stop somewhere.There is no canteen at Space coast on your side of the airport !

Fly as much 'local' stuff as you can (only to keep costs down) and try and blag the extended rage C152 if you can (40 gallon tanks I seem to remember)so that you can spread your wings further afield.

Space coast airport is great with massive runways and mostly helpful A.T.C. They should have moved into a brand new Tower by now so the aircon should work better too!

Titusville town is a bit zzzzzzzzzz. Ok your there to fly but everyone needs some R&R too sometimes. The Red Lion 'English' Pub is quite a giggle and only a short walk away from some of the houses. They serve 'Bitter' which is nice when your fed up with Bud !

Have fun....and dont forget to visit places like Key West (exspensive) and the likes while your out there. NASA is only 5 miles down the road and ask for a fly-by of the shuttle landing area...maybe you will get to see a lauch while your out there too ! ! !

The bottom line....Would I go again ???

YES !

Cheers