PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leatherman and Swiss army Knives
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2001, 23:57
Pete O'Head

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

This is all getting too silly too quickly folks. The authorities have to realise we're working on a spectrum of safety here. At one extreme end (the dangerous end) there would be no security measures at all. At the other extreme end, we simply remove the wings from every aircraft..then they won't ever crash or be hijacked.
So the authorities have to find a sensible compromise somewhere in the "middle". Ok..so now's the time to re-define where the middle bit actually is, but at the end of the day, we will only ever keep aircraft flying if we accept that there has to be a compromise. Licensed aircrew being banned from carrying innocent tools such as swiss army knives, leatherman's & maglites means that somebody's lost the plot. I personally have lost count of the number of times I've had to use my swiss army knife to carry out an in-flight repair of a crackly headset, or tighten a lose knob somewhere. there was one occasion when I had a double radio failure in flight, and the army knife got both radios working again.
As for maglites..emmm..isn't it a legal requirement that we carry a torch when night flying?
The fact that any pilot complete with ID pass manages to get through security to go to work means that we are about to fly a potentially lethal missile, so what's the problem if we carry a few other bits & pieces? I realise the concern about terrorists impersonating pilots, but even if we position as passengers; the fact that we have an electrocally swiped ID pass is more proof of genuinity than that carried by armed police officers. And the technology exist for us to provide the security search staff with additional info like a PIN number.
What else is going to be banned? Pepper from the catering galley? Hairsprays and perfume sprays used by the cabin crew? In fact, I'd better remove my wedding ring in case I use it as a knuckle-duster. And my fingernails are a bit long and sharp. In fact, let's ban metal pens and use soft pastels to write with.We are responsible people in charge of airliners and people's lives. The authorities must treat us as such. Any changes required should take place in the screening process, and not restrict us from going about our business. [Gravity is a myth...the Earth sucks]