PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2014, 21:54
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Justanopinion, quite so! I can't imagine many people in such a sudden and unexpected situation in the dark of night thinking "You know, I wonder if something might actually be snagging the base of the sidestick" whilst the aircraft is bunting into an unexpected descent.

I imagine there'll be simple mitigations put in place now - such as checking that there's nothing in front of the arm rest when motoring the seat and a ban on anything being placed on the side console. Not necessarily a camera / iToy etc - anything could get caught, such as a flight document.

Time out for a war story - the Luftwaffe exchange officer on my F-4 squadron very nearly ran out of fuel way out over the North Sea once. All because he'd stuffed his flying jacket into the cockpit and nudged the fuel selector to the wrong position. Plenty of fuel, but the engines weren't getting it. Master Caution and FUEL caption, but he at least spotted the selector once he'd shifted his jacket off the panel and recovered the situation - although his frantic turn towards home and call of "Fuuuuuuuuuuelll priority" had us wondering!

I think it was Duncan Simpson who had a control restriction in the early days of testing the HS1182 (prototype Hawk). Whilst inverted. Being such a supremely experienced TP, he calmly remembered "I had this once when I was testing a Sea Fury", took the same recovery action and gingerly brought the aircraft home.