PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tirpitz - 617 v 9
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2014, 23:08
stumblefingers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The IX Sqn link describes the stealing of the bulkhead from 617 in 71 pretty much as I remember it. The contested article was hanging on the wall in our crewroom, unguarded and easily removable. At about 1800 we were advised of its theft, and given a description of the van that was used. There then followed a "Rootes Group" pursuit - 2 Sunbeam Alpines (one of which was mine) and Trevor Hurrell's Humber Hawk, which led us to Waddington. Although we were quite miffed, it was viewed at the time as a bit of a lark, and Waddington's Station Commander, although declaring himself neutral, allowed 617 to monitor the pan where IX Sqn's Vulcan was parked. I did a 2-hour shift in the adjacent crew chief's hut, only for the enemy to rush out and tie the door shut with a length of rope. Fortunately, they did not cover the hatch at the back of the hut, through which I scrambled and raised the alarm, ensuring that the bulkhead was not loaded onto their Vulcan. However, this was just a clever diversion, as it was already on its way to Wittering by road, and the rest is history.

This was not the first time that the bulkhead had changed ownership, but we felt that IX was not playing fairly this time. Up until then, the trophy had been displayed freely somewhere in the respective sqn's hangar, making it fair game for repatriation. When 617's next Cyprus Ranger arrived at Akrotiri the crew were shown the bulkhead concreted into the wall of the IX Sqn building, making a slick high-speed removal impossible.

The Vulcan B2 had no fuel jettison facility, so IX's ac must have left Waddington with minimal fuel to be able illegally to declare an emergency and divert into Wittering, just down the road. Does this sort of high jinx still go on in today's RAF I wonder?