PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Pilots (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2003, 08:52
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After all the hijackings in the 1970s security precautions were put in place to stop it happening again ,did they work ?

I'm all in favour of better screening of passengers ,improved X ray machines etc , but as a last line of defence WHEN the hijackers have managed to bypass all this new security I want the option of shooting them myself in order to save the aircraft.

Minimum wage security guards regularly carry firearms ,why not highly trained pilots.

Sure the procedures for carrying guns around will be complicated and expensive ,but surely simpler and cheaper than the clean up of the World Trade Center.

Everybody goes on about headlines resulting from accidental discharge or a passenger being shot ,how about "Hijack Foiled -Armed Pilot Saves Aircraft"

If you had been flying the BA jumbo with the deranged man struggling with the controls going through 110 degrees of bank would you like to have been able to shoot to defend yourself ?

Glock make some lovely sub compact semi automatic pistols and I will be carrying one as soon as it is legal for me to do so.

PS Off to the firing range after lunch.