PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moderators - dictators of taste?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2003, 07:55
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
KENNYR,

You're dredging up history, if not ancient history.

On 28th March 2003 at 18:46 _perhaps a bit late,_I wrote:

"There could not be a more pro-Palestinian Pruner than I am, as Danny will confirm, I'm sure. I'm not the mouthpiece and apologist he accuses me of, but I do believe that Israel must cede land for peace, and strongly support the pre-67 borders as being a good starting point. But Danny owns and runs this board, providing a useful forum for us to discuss virtually all subjects under the sun. Virtually. Any exclusions are his business. Danny has served in the IDF, and is a moderately Zionist Jew, and as such has strong feelings on the issue. To his great credit, he does not attempt to ram those feelings down our throats - except when provoked, and he has decided that the subject is best avoided altogether. Where the Israel/Palestine issue is directly relevant, I think we should be allowed to mention that fact, but in Danny's defence, the detailed arguments about the issue have been endlessly and comprehensively aired here, and even I think that Danny's feelings and desire to avoid further acrimonious debate should be respected."

I'm sorry that I did not respect those feelings earlier, and have apologised to Danny privately and publicly.

Since then I have avoided any debate of the Israel/Palestine issue. To say "I may not agree with something (Northern Monkey's childish slights of other men's wives or Danny's Zionism, for example) but I'll defend their right to express their opinion." Hardly qualifies as "everything I post" coming "down to the Israeli/Arafat/Palastine/Arab issue" while referring to someone as being a zionist is hardly a personal attack.

The original Tornado wives thread is hardly something for us to be arguing about, I think, in the light of what I've said about it, since our opinions seem to coincide. We differ only on the issue of moderation - and on the acceptability of abuse about my writing!