PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South Sudan any1? What to buy before?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2014, 04:55
takopalayak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some very good points in the previous posts. Without the inertial separator, by far, your biggest risk will be taking bird into the engine. I had 3 bird strikes in S. Sudan in 6 month. One missed the engine intake by a couple of inches.
I suggest you have a pulsating taxi lights installed and keep them on all the time. If you fly with 2 crew, make it mandatory, that one set of eyes is always looking out the windshield and has the authority to grab the controls. In poor visibility there is no time for proper transition of control. Avoid flying over bush fires. Big birds love the updrafts. Avoid garbage dumps for the same reason. That is dificult to do, as there is garbadge everywhere in towns and villages. There are flocks of birds on most approach and departure paths. Juba is quite bad for that and bird strikes are daily occurrences. A dead bird on the runway will bring more birds. I have seen some spectacular damage to the Caravan props over there. WIth the extra power and instantenious response of the 331 you will have to be soo much more careful. You will be able to totally destroy the prop in one too enthusiastic power or reverse application. Don't believe the Garret sales propaganda about the compressor wheel being design to reject FOD. You put a rock through that puppy and she will be toast.