PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things have to get worse before they can get better
Old 10th Mar 2014, 23:13
Cliff Secord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that's really well put RAT5 and aa73.

I found the boldest indicator of how ruined the UK market is by the cadet thing is that the supposed top employer in the UK is only taking on trainees with no experience. All those old hold poolers etc long forgotten- so long ago that many of those cadets were still at school whilst you waited it out. Got loads of heavy time and a great record of how well you did in checks? Actual experience of emergencies? Loads of turbo prop time dishing out failures left right and centre exposing you to a decent building of your judgemental and flight management skills or what it actually feels like to operate off contaminated runways that aren't just in a sim? Tough doo you're not in the winning. The low hour or no hour bods are straight there while you rot it out.

Yep, yonks ago if you didn't have any experience and times were tough in flying the experienced guys were the only ones getting in. You took a prop job, instructing whatever, any job - you did your flipping time and kept your head down. Maybe you had a few scares along the way, plenty of knock backs and plenty of humble learning pie. Plodding away working up the ladder aspiring to that top Job knowing that decent terms awaited and that there was no mechanism for some Johnny-come-lately attempting to walt mitty his way to the top and bugger up the t and cs for everyone else.

Compare that to now with the Facebook shade wearing CTC have a go heros. Only on wannabes there was a thread running saying how basically some jobs were beneath a CTC/Oxford young dudes. The world has gone mad.

Of course all that past stuff was when a 'cadet' cost the airline money. As we say it's a case of trying ones best to suck up the annoyance. Lets not tart up the reasons these low/no hour guys are suddenly the golden geese. Its because they're cheap. I wish the coffee that the FAA are drinking found its way to the vending machines in Gatwick. Welcome to the layer cake son