PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things have to get worse before they can get better
Old 10th Mar 2014, 14:43
Cliff Secord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't say experience equals more safety, Its better than no experience. It's a plus. (yes I know the training too which applies to all). If experience was flat with its benefits then why can't a 1000 hour Pilot command a 777? Even the authorities believe 1500 TT is relevant for command. Most airlines want more for command and not just because of seniority. Look at the requirements for KAL skippers on the 400. If you're just as good after 1000-2000 hours then these airlines clearly have their doubts. It's in the UK they just don't care what experience the monkey in the right seat has as long as they don't have to spend much on the guy and its glossed over as being 'well trained'.

I do agree you can't generalise that experience is a panacea, but let's not reverse the polarity and generalise either that experienced guys are rubbish at sops and checklists and cadets are all wonderfully switched on and can be trained into knowing everything. As mentioned when I first moved onto long haul years ago flying into some dodgy necks of the world it was the experience of the guy next to me that kept us alive not really the training system. You couldnt be predictably trained for some of the things you come across flying into Africa/Asia. This is more about annoyance at the UK system of late than anything to do with gross safety concerns I think.

Last edited by Cliff Secord; 10th Mar 2014 at 15:00.