PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things have to get worse before they can get better
Old 10th Mar 2014, 03:05
aa73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair weather flier, that's exactly the type of pilot I'm talking about, and IMHO it's just a matter of time before the bar is lowered enough to the point where all new entrants are of the type you mention.

I understand that Lufthansa, British, etc adhere to a very strict process in recruiting candidates, and that's a good thing. I still maintain however that jetliner duty should only come after a long seasoning.

John Smith.... A couple of classic examples for you to look at would be Korean Air 2033, where the inexperienced FO fought the CA on landing to go around, resulting in an overrun. Another one would be China Air 676, where the inexperienced FO triggered the Toga levers and then didn't know how to get out of it. Granted, two Asian airlines but again the result of low hour, inexperienced FOs who were likewise "carefully chosen" and graduated from these pilot cadet schemes...and could just as easily happen anywhere.

In the end? I still maintain that the airline piloting profession keeps getting driven down to the lowest common denominator by lowering standards for new hires, up to and including cadet pilot schemes. While these are not as bad as the pay to fly schemes, they are not really that far off. Want to fly for an airline? Go get the experience, it can literally save your life in the long run.

I think when we look at the great safety records of these airlines, we are lulled into a false sense of security, being that "there hasn't been enough of these types of accidents, therefore the process must be safe." All it takes is one and that's too many. We've already had two serious ones here in the USA that could have been prevented by more experience... AF447 may not have been directly caused by inexperience but it sure was a big player. To me that's more than enough of a good example.