PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things have to get worse before they can get better
Old 9th Mar 2014, 23:09
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The USA got it right, at least the first stages of it, by requiring 1500hrs and an ATP before flying 121. That's a start. Europe and the rest of the world would be wise to follow...unfortunately it's just a matter of time before something tragic happens to create enough awareness. I'll say it again, low experience has no place in an airline cockpit, folks...and ab-initio programs are by no means a replacement for this.
The North American perspective on this cannot really be applied to Europe. If we start to say "one needs 1500hrs" to sit in the RHS of an airliner then where is the candidate supposed to get that experience? They can't all be 200 hour instructors...

As for GA, air taxi etc, don't make us laugh...anything involving MEPs or single pilot is considered much more demanding than going straight out of integrated flight school to an A320. Apart from the fact that other than bizjets commercial GA is almost non-existent now in western Europe.

All you guys talking about "smoking holes" are going to be waiting a long time I think...especially if we are talking about the likes of Ryanair/easyJet. I don't see too many of their planes off runways or at the wrong airport...unlike their equivalents in the US supposedly flown by "experienced" crews.

Surprised someone hasn't blamed AF447 on the MPL yet...