PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things have to get worse before they can get better
Old 8th Mar 2014, 21:52
pitotheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only speak for ezy but in the last year or so there has been an improvement. Once selected there is a clearly defined path through cadetship to first officer to senior first officer to captain. Pay rises as the pilot progresses. Once a permanent contract is awarded a host of benefits become available including a wide range of bases. Command opportunities are still good compared to many companies and you are employed by one of the most secure airlines in the world.
For cadets we are a good bet, I feel we have yet to properly open ourselves up to ex military, TP and flying instructor candidates. I believe there will be more picked up in the next batch of recruitment.
Things have changed in the last 5 years with much of the training/cost risk transferred to the individual. But the flip side; I left a secure job with good T&Cs 15+ years ago and against the advise of many friends and family joined a fledgling upstart of a company which kidded itself it could take on the established European flag carriers. Few people gave easyJet much hope and derided those who took the gamble. There is rarely a guarantee in life. My risk was throwing a good career away to join easyJet; today's gamble is to invest in yourself to earn an opportunity.
It is all too easy to become negative about the pilot market nowadays but the truth is that there are many times more jobs now than 5,10,15+ years ago so what are you going to do to make it happen?