PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats the best way to become an airline pilot these days???
Old 18th Apr 2003, 02:31
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 206 Likes on 73 Posts
OBK!. I made my generalised comments whilst wearing my Instructors Hat. I did a PPL at 17 and became an instructor at 19 so I am not in any way anti-teenager by experience. I have taught people to fly from an age range of 15 to 69 on both private and commercial courses.

It is my view, based on experience, that the ideal time to train is somewhere in the first half of your 20's. There are many examples of people who did it in their middle age or teen years. But I stand by my observation that issues of maturity often have adverse effect on flight training under the age of 20.

I am sure that this does not pertain to yourself. You seem very together about the whole thing.

DocMcGuire - thanks for digging out the figures. I think they mislead somewhat. As a member of the instructing staff there I can atest that we had more 'issues' with the teenage students than the others and that we attributed these in the main to factors you could lump together as maturity. The numbers under threat of being chopped were significantly higher amongst the youngsters and this was ackowledged by all during the routine process of course review amongst the staff.

By preferance an instructor would prefer to have a 24yr old graduate with half a PPL as his student than an 18yr old who has never flown before. As you will be well aware most instructors are in their mid 20's to mid 50's. I guess a typical mean would be about 30. Relating to an 18yr old can provide additional challenges which I admit is as much a fault of the instructor as the student.

Generalisations all.