PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Kudu?
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2003, 14:34
BAKELA
Registered User *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Kudu Lesson 1.

FB,

Nice novel idea as the Kudu seems to fit with the bush. However,

1. Not one Kudu has a C of A, and no C of A, no commercial ops. All were 'civilianised' as what was then called LS1 aircraft. If you want more info on this PM or mail me. I suppose you can start a "Kudu Club", join the club and fly for free. - oh no! ...let me not go down that road...enough said.

2. The GSO480 engine is a real gas gussler compared to other 'normal' pistons. With the supercharger, boost limiter and carburettor it is an engine that causes big hassles if not treated and handled properly.

3. The Kudu is only a STOL aircraft up to the normal MTOW of 2040kg. At the miltary MTOW of 2275kg (and they were registered on the civil register at this weight) it is not a STOL aircraft. At 2275kg on a 30 degrees plus day you are gonna need a proper runway and quite a bit of it.

4. Plenty taildragger experience (nothing smaller than a C185) is needed before taking on the Kudu. At one stage (due to accidents) the SAAF introduced a policy that no pilot with less than 650 (?) hours total time (of which 150 (?) hours had to be on taildraggers) would be allowed to fly the Kudu. This dramatically reduced the accident rate. Especially at MTOW she can be a beast.

5. Loading has to be done carefully as the Kudu has a very wide C of G range for a single. This is especially true when getting close to the MTOW. Big problem if C of G is too far forward as you run out of elevator authority on landing and on this taildragger that can be very nasty indeed.

6. Then of course, there's the noise levels. It is definately not on the list of quiet aircraft - outside and inside.

There's plenty more to say but all in all, even though the Kudu is a solid but heavy beast and I have fond memories of all the hours I've done on it , I don't think that any commercial pax operation will be viable.

Cheers vir eers.
Bakela