PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Egg banjos bounced by sarnie barmy army
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2014, 12:00
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
West Point good old days

I remember watching BBC2 Future War with Michael Ignatieff and the part Three mentioned how the next generation of US Army Officer cadets at West Point would gear up for the next war. There was b/w footage from either the 70s or 80s showing the Uppercalssmen/sophomores/ marching by the wall and wo betide at the dining hall table if a cadet was seen to take a wee bit more of a bite. The head of table (assuming an upperclassmen) would chew his head off by saying "don't you think that is a rather large bite you've taken Mr......." and the response from the cadet was "No sir, i do not" then the poor cadet would be made to do a ritual with his knife and fork "This is my Left Big Hook, this is My Right Big Hook " then shout something silly and put both down.

The then commandant of West Point mentioned in the interview how he underwent this draconian during his tenure as a student and immediately said it did not make sense at all to him at the time nor did it help him or anyone else become a better officer. Michael Ignatieff then said that the chow hall at WP was more relaxed and came across as the same atmosphere as an university.