PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA Enroute-IR minimum ceiling?
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2014, 10:34
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Pace, we need to give credit, where credit is due.

The question with that is whether this was envisaged by the regulators or advisable considering that a low time IMCR pilot could theoretically take off from say Bournemouth into a 200 foot cloudbase fly airways to Aberdeen and land with a 200 foot cloudbase all the while relying on his autopilot to hold up!
Does anyone actually do what you suggest? No one knows, because just as drivers run red lights, whilst it is illegal, until cameras, no one knew how many had done it.

Same with busting minima, flouting Imcr priveleges, flouting IR priveleges, no one knows. Stats could tell us, but the UK stats on loss of control in IMC, tend not to tell us how many pilots actually went out and deliberately, flew, illegally.
I have some faith, still, that pilots who go out, spend money, add ratings, take recurrent, are looking to improve safety, not denigrate it. Not all are suicide jockeys.

There was a sad one in the States last week. A Cessna 210, lost control on intercepting the localiser. The live ATC link is below. Experienced pilot, yes reasonably poor conditions, a moments inattention, with disasterous consequences. I would like to think that all pilots take to the air in IMC, fully understanding the dangers and limitations.

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kb...2014-0400Z.mp3