PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medicos save the day, again.
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2014, 15:15
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radgirl, there are medical emergencies in US aircraft, but I have never heard of a lawsuit against a volunteer responder. I would assume that there may have been. How many are you familiar with?
12 years ago a good friend called me from Spain asking a favour! There was an ex pat there who lived in Spain and was dying.It was his wish to return to the UK before he died and I was assured that members of his family would be on board to tend him and would sign a disclaimer to protect me.
This was in an unpressurised twin.
As the Captain I was advised that even if the family signed a disclaimer I could be sued by the family if he died enroute.
i was advised that as Captain I had a duty of care and had to pass that duty of care to someone medically qualified. Ie someone who would say that this patient was fit to fly, the level of medical equipment on the aircraft, the nurses or doctors required on the flight etc.

It all got too complicated and in fact the poor guy died two days later so chances are he would have died on my aircraft.
It is not just medical personnel but crew who have to be aware.
Correct me if I am wrong

Radgirl BTW thanks for the PM and advice on my personal situation i did read it

Last edited by Pace; 28th Feb 2014 at 16:44.