PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARS and CX cadet pilot programme and forum attitudes
Old 16th Apr 2003, 13:44
velvet_ice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well maybe some people when it comes to writing a post on the internet have all the time in the world to sit down and go through all the grammatical errors and spelling mistakes one by one. Then again maybe some don't?

My point being, is that to judge someone on that issue alone is really quite unfair on here. This is not where we are applying for a job, this is just where we come to seek advice and ask questions? Is this not supposed to be a somewhat relaxed enviroment? I am sure you have had times where you have relaxed and didn't notice any minor mistakes in your writing? It doesn't make you uneducated or show that you lack the qualities of becoming a good pilot? I was not referring to the "making a big deal over minor spelling mistakes" when it comes to job matters, I was simply pointing out, that in these forums, sometimes people concentrate so much on the minor details of a little mistake now and then instead of just giving their opinion or advice without coming off as being patronising.

I mean, your point being that proper grammar and spelling should be used at all times because it reflects ones character? So does that mean when i am flying solo and doing a cross country, i have to check and double check that i am not writing in short hand " because it would look unprofessional" , that my grammar and my spellings and presentation are all held to a high standard? Well if that is the case, there is going to be alot of circling happening while i am planning a diversion or making notes while i am flying.

The Fact of the matter is, is that people are using short hand and sms type phrases everyday, even when it comes to work related matters and issues? When someone wants to send a quick memo, without hesitating to check completely for grammar or spelling, does that make them a bad employee? no, they are trying to get the point across as bluntly and as quickly as possible. That is todays generation.

It does not always reflect laziness or someones lack of enthusiasm or a couldn't care less attitude. If someone could not care less then why would they make the effort they do to seek out the information needed so they can pursue their goals in aviation? It is not exactly an inexpensive career to achieve especially when self funding. I am not here to be criticized or judged neither is anyone else.

I do respect others opinions and you are right that in the application is where the potential employer will get his/her first impression of the potential employee. I was not saying that proper use of grammar and spelling should not be used when it comes to applications. I agree that it should be used. But if you remember to what i was referring to in the beginning was only in reference to the forums,

well i wrote more than i wanted too. But i felt quite strongly about your reply. good day.