PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARS and CX cadet pilot programme and forum attitudes
Old 16th Apr 2003, 12:35
BarryMonday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
velvet_ice, RumourReader et al

"I dont see why people are so petty over such trivial things as a spelling mistake. It happens all the time but unless it is seriously jeapordising someone then why make such an issue out of it right?"

I thinks the answer as to why people complain about seriously bad grammer, spelling mistakes, SMS style abbreviations and people who can't be bothered to use the Shift key for capital letters is contained in the above statement.

It shows a person with a couldn't-care-less attitude, lazy, prone to taking short cuts and not bothered about how they see themselves presented. Not the qualities that are looked for when selecting candidates for an expensive course of training that will lead to them becoming a fully integrated member of a flight-deck team that adheres to SOPs. Quite the opposite in fact.

You may well complain loudly and say I am old fashioned and not in line with the present day educational system, but I am also of that generation, or one older, that will be assessing your applications, and therefore do not share the opinion expressed in the statement quoted at the top of this post. Oh yes, no one is going to buy the tale that you only get sloppy on a bulletin board either!

Surely it doesn't hurt that much to make an effort to get things right does it? How you present yourself in the written form is often the first impression you get the chance to make, not the one when you walk through the door.

[edited to include bad grammer and spelling mistakes]