PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2014, 10:54
Bagso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main remit of the Davies Commission was a review of UK Airport Capacity, and not UK Aviation Policy as such. It would be extremely difficult for them to conclude there is a shortage of airport capacity outside the SE corner

In actual fact the terms of reference as laid out by Louise Ellman MP were;

1.What should be the objectives of Government policy on aviation?

2.How should we make the best use of existing aviation capacity?

3.What constraints are there on increasing UK aviation capacity?

4.Do we need a step-change in UK aviation capacity? Why?

Whilst 3 and 4 DO refer to capacity constraints in the SE, points 1 and 2 refer to general aviation policy do they not, it seem however that they have been totally lost in the fog of debate on LHR et al !

It could be argued that the Manchester Airport Home Team (as opposed to the Manchester Airport Stansted Away Team), believed at least initially that it WAS very much about policy ! There was much discussion before the committee about London based airlines dominating policy, APD, bilateral and the subsequent impact on Manchester !

However the attendance of the HOME team at the hearings in relation to Manchester and the submission of both written and verbal evidence has proved to be a complete and utter waste of time and energy...at least thus far !

IF it was all about London why bother .....

I would also question what possible value there was having one of the debates in Manchester if the terms of reference related very specifically to a debate about capacity ?

If anything Manchester is now in a worst place politically as at least under the last review it was considered to be a "gateway airport" (although it is questionable as to what that ever meant ).

In this review its position was relegated to merely another "regional" coupled to a pretty damming statement from Davies

"long haul from the regions should be totally dismissed as it is highly damaging to the environment because there is less chance of filling these planes".

...this comment is crucial because it only really effects Manchester and that is where most regional long haul emanates !

Far from looking at options to maximise regional airport growth this comment effectively put a line through it, its the very reason one Northern MP who read the report was so apoplectic, he like me believed Davies failed spectacularly in his remit !

Personally I think MAG also got caught out with a somewhat confused strategy, its turned into a bit of pigs breakfast , they got themselves in a complete bind in terms of what that actual strategy was for both the HOME and subsequently the AWAY team.

Initially much focus was indeed on Manchester (and dare I suggest it UK Aviation Policy) until that is the purchase of Stansted went through, the Manchester contribution stalled and then diminished so quickly you could be forgiven for thinking it was ever part of the initial debate !

Stansted was anointed but things went ary and Davies kicked the option out.

I wonder with a Manchester Airport Terminal revamp being discussed we are seeing another handbrake turn in policy ?

Have MAG considered the implications of Davies and possibly seeing that options at STN are not as rosy as first thought are relooking at Manchester, certainly expansion down there would appear to be linked inexorably to the aspirations of Ryanair ?

Quite what the spokesman for MAG will say at the TAS meeting will be very interesting.

I suspect the evidence that was put before Davies initially re APD and those bilats etc and formed the rump of the MAG submission re MAN will be dusted down and regurgitated to a no doubt receptive audience !

The other MAG evidence re Stansted will I suspect be "how shall we say" quietly dropped.

Suzeman many thanks for the link I have PM'd you.