PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Medicos save the day, again.
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2014, 20:18
Radgirl

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
The problem is that most NHS staff in the UK dont have insurance - they are covered by crown indemnity and even if they are member of the MDU it is to provide independent advice with NHS claims. In NZ we have no fault compensation so no insurance. In much of europe the insurance policies are

An indemnity form isnt worth the paper it is written on - it would have to be signed by the patient without duress, and because they are ill in an aluminium tube they have no choice. A third party may say they will cover, but I wonder if Willy Walsh or Uncle Patrick really would pay out a claim for several millions.

That being said many countries do have good samaritan acts so you wont be sued provided you only use the skills you normally use. The concern is that you cant choose the nature of the illness.

The US also passed good samaritan acts but it is a US citizen's right to sue, so it doesnt really cover a direct claim from the patient. The big issue is that even arguing you shouldnt be sued could cost a lot of dosh or even result in you being a guest of Uncle Sam's whilst the lawyers sort it out.

Personally I always help outside US airspace and I wouldnt fly a US carrier but it is important not to get out of your depth and to quick to admit you cannot help.

In the old days we always got a free ticket in return and a letter of thanks. Nowadays carriers seem to think it is our obligation. I prefer the cabin calls when the fuel load is still high and the divert airport expensive........... I also ask if there is a lawyer on board and then ask him if he will defend me pro bono if I get sued