PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Voyager Plummets (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2014, 16:02
Biggus

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts
We live in a more open society than we did 20 or 30 years ago, with such things as FOI requests giving the public far more access to information than in the past.

The "grounding" to use the BBC phrase, and the basic reason why, was given widespread coverage:

BBC News - RAF planes 'grounded' after 'in-flight issue'

The closest the public has to an information regarding resumption of flights is the following article:

Britain lifts flying suspension on Airbus-made Voyager fleet | Reuters

In it we have such comments as:

"An AirTanker spokesman, who told Reuters that the suspension had been lifted, said an investigation was ongoing and he was unable to comment on the cause of the incident."

The use of the word "ongoing" implies the investigation is not yet complete.

"The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said it was inappropriate to speculate on the cause of the incident but, following critical safety advice, the RAF chain of command had been reassured that the likelihood of a repeat was negligible."

What exactly does this mean? Critical safety advice from who? If it is inappropriate to speculate on the cause, and the MOD knows what it is, why doesn't it say simply say what the cause was?

If I had a 20 year old son or daughter about to fly out on such an aircraft I would be concerned for their safety, and why shouldn't any other concerned parent feel the same.

I'm afraid MOD saying something to the effect of "it's ok, you can take our word for it, we know best" doesn't wash these days - they have previous form in this area!!

.....and I did think seriously about what I wrote above, and if you want me stopped from writing it, what sort of society are we becoming?