PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2014, 17:27
Greenlights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My main dream is to travel and the fact that I also love aviation. But with all the news and forums I have read I want to ask this question.
Hey man,

I can tell you a bit from the inside. I flew for a LCC and quit, and changed career... Glad i did it sooner, because most of guys are stucked.
An advice, if you really want to try, get a degree first !! It is a MUST.

Bear in mind, a pilot has just a big "driving license" which can be revocated at anytime. You miss an altitude level, or you descent without clearance and you are screwed.
So, get a degree and have some skills other than piloting.

I tell you that because, I did not get a degree...and changing career after a pilot career is quite a challenge ! Yeah you know VOR, GPS, you know ILS approach, something that nobody cares in the other world on ground.

- Your dream is to travel ?
It was mine too. Believe me, I traveled less than most of my friends actually who have a normal job. Isn't it Ironic ? (or pathetic ?)
Most of the time I saw runways, aprons and cockpit. Yes in a LCC you do not have time to get out of the cockpit that much. Just enough time to pee and take the next flight plans, weather, notams. 30min of turn around is very short. (an tiring with time).
Maybe you think "oh, we can travel on our days OFF " . Hum...yes...but when you are OFF, honestly, you do not want to be in a plane or wait at the airport anymore. Being OFF means, doing something completely different. Stay at home and relax, doing sport etc.

The thing is don't confuse Travel and travel. A pilot's job is to carry people from A to B. The management does not pay you to Travel.
If you manage to land in a right seat, it will be for sure, a LCC.
So, if you sleep in another city, believe me, the firsts things you will do :
Shower and Sleep. Because you will have to enough fit for the next flight !

If you like to travel, the best thing is to do it during your real days OFF.
A pilot does not travel... no no no no and NO. It's quite an illusion.
Play flight simulator on your Computer, and you get pretty much the same feeling. You land, and you take off again...4 times each day.

- You love aviation. Of course. I would say that 99% of us, all the pilot, loved or love aviation. We all started with that in mind.

But, just to clarify one thing :
Loving something, does not mean to do it as a professionnal. You really should make the difference.
To avoid any disappointments, you should just like it. that's it.

Pilot is not a job, it's a lifestyle.
If you like to live as a bohemian, go for it. I would say it's a bit a nice job for youngs. But you approach 30, you really starts to think differently.
That's why, I told you : get a BACK UP PLAN.

Because, being stucked in a lifestyle that you dislike after a while, you will really feel like depressed. Maybe that's why we see negative comments on forums.

Be smart !

Any human being want to control his life a minimum. Being a pilot you don't control that much. You are a tool for the management.
You're young it's ok. But in case of change, be prepared.

Today I am lot happier with recreationnal flight on beside my new job. When I was in Asia, I did not have time to fly as hobby. But anyway, there were no flying clubs !! so...no choice... and I can tell I really missed it.

Bad or not, you will judge yourself (I hope for you), it's your life.

Would I recommend this career ? No...if it was free, yes why not. But considering the cost of training and the investment return, definetly no...especially with the career evolution now. Climing the ladder is harder and harder. Most fo the guys start in a LCC and will end up in a....LCC or in another job. Because 40 years in a LCC ? no way ! unless being a robot lol.

Last edited by Greenlights; 24th Feb 2014 at 17:39.