PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABERDEEN
Thread: ABERDEEN
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2014, 07:46
Richard Taylor
Fit like min?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still think it's a shame Flybe saw fit to close not expand the Aberdeen base. Interesting that they are talking bullishly about new (leased?) aircraft & routes...as well as UK bases. But which airports? Have they not had bases at most at one point in time? Like others, I find Flybe baffling at times. You would have thought this area being one of the most successful economically in recent years would have attracted them, but not the case.

Jet2 have gone quiet since their statement a few years back when they opened the GLA base. ABZ 'one possibly for the future' or words to that effect. Question is - how far into the future? If they were going to be attracted, you would think now is the time when the area is strong economically...might not be worth it in 3, 5, 10 years time depending on where Big Oil is. Sadly, airlines' cycles don't coincide with the economic well-being of an area you think should be served.

I have often wondered about competition on AMS, but I guess KLM (as with BA at LHR) will always the dominant carrier thanks to its connectivity and freq at Schiphol. As bmiR found out when they tried to launch their own AMS route. Of course, we have no based loco, and maybe never will have - the loco boom has passed us by. Would someone launch a competing route & serve it with non-based aircraft? Possible I suppose.

Helicopters, and noted this from the recent stipulations:

The CAA estimates that the seating restrictions will mean many offshore helicopters will have to cut their passenger *capacity by between 15 and 20 per cent.

Mr Paterson said the restrictions would mean extra offshore flights and more aircraft having to be deployed for changing the crews on oil rigs.

The industry is already forecasting an increase in the number of flights this year by about six per cent He admitted: “That in itself will represent a challenge.”

Challenges for the heli operators indeed, what with a shortage of pilots and possibly still equipment - an increase in flights forecast, which will be exacerbated by the restrictions being imposed. Challenges too for the oil industry, as this is not going to help with increased costs, in an ageing Province already suffering from increased costs. Even with >$100 oil, some projects have been deferred due to high costs, & it won't take much for a sustained drop in the oil price (even by $15 or so) for the effects to bite.

Exciting times - interesting times - potentially worrying times.