PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really that bad?
View Single Post
Old 20th Feb 2014, 16:42
Cliff Secord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE]Doesn't matter if you are pilot or anyone else, life was always bad for pessimist. I've chosen a life of pilot cos I never liked a life of some office worker. Seeing the cloud from above, flying into it, kiss landing on the RW is incomparable.[QUOTE]

You see. That's great but it's very blinkered and not the most emotionally mature approach to planning your career. I love flying, I started years ago when young myself. However, when you're in your 30s/40s being made redundant with a mortgage to pay, young children and facing a choice of paying yet more tens of thousands for a type rating to fly on a contract that is as short and bendy as a horticultural contract picking vegetables in the fens, or leaving the country for weeks on a shady 'commuting' contract that gives you 10 days off after 6 weeks away then calling yourself an optimist might help but, not in my experience or in the experience of many of my friends and colleagues in that situation.

It's this "slipped the surly bonds of Earth, danced the skies on laughter-silvered balls" kind of juvenile hog that powers the problem. As long as there are enough professional hobbiest short term thinking young guys/girls being wooed with wonderfully arrogant high brow agencies and Airlines offering Faustian deals, then it goes on. Certainly in the UK.

Hypothetically, imagine a bizarre world where due to some Orwellian rules on recruitment of flight crew, only mature folk in their mid 30s with a house and family were eligible. The job would not be in this state as people would be less bent on sacrificing everything to do it. Of course, air fares would be higher. Naturally that scenario is rubbish and can't happen. It would be a very bad ethos, as young entrants bring great qualities of trainability and enthusiasm. The low fare dam gates opened years ago and it's hard to put the water back. Now a lot of the companies are at it. Some good eggs don't don't abuse this yearning like Monarch and Virgin Atlantic. But as Super Pilot said, they are very few in number.

I would add to the original poster given you're just 16 years old, I think you're very wise and sensible to look beyond the immediate attraction ask yourself the wider questions. That approach will serve you well in whatever you do.

Last edited by Cliff Secord; 21st Feb 2014 at 12:27.