PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737-200 V1 cut
Thread: 737-200 V1 cut
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2014, 04:25
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In an attempt to credit those here who have been discussing (even though it may have sounded argumentative) whether or not V1 is really a “decision” speed – or more toward the discussion (argument) – whether or not it is the speed at which a “decision” is made as to whether or not an abort should be initiated. Clearly, THAT specific airspeed is described, at least by the regulator (in the US anyway – and by implication, elsewhere, if we’re discussing a US-built aircraft flown under another country’s regulations), as being a speed that has to be viewed through two (2) perspectives:
1) the first perspective is the perspective of an ‘engine failure’ speed (called VEF) where the speed under discussion (argument) MAY NOT be less than this ‘engine failure’ speed AND it cannot be less than the minimum ground control speed (VMCG) … and it is selected by the person(s) applying for the certification; and
2) the second perspective is a bit more practical in that it must be chosen on the basis of not being less than the ‘engine failure’ speed (described above) but it must include any speed that is gained with the critical engine failed, during the time interval between the instant at which the engine is failed and the instant at which the pilot, having recognized the failure, takes the first action to reject the takeoff – and that recognition is defined by the pilot applying brakes, reducing thrust, deploying speed brakes, etc.

So, in the strict understanding of the “noun-verb-object-subject” kind of thinking, V1 is the speed at which a decision, having been made previously, is expressed by outward, recognizable, action. Of course, if the “decision” that is made is to CONTINUE the takeoff, there would be no outward, recognizable, action taken by the pilot, in that he/she would simply continue what he/she had been doing up to that point.

Now, I’ve known some folks who, having been born and bread in the US “southern” states (where, historically anyway, it does often take longer to say virtually anything) do, in fact speak more slowly. Some describe it as ‘deliberately.’ Unfortunately, and incorrectly, sometimes this characteristic has been rumored to be due to an absence of intelligence or proficiency in the spoken language … however, having lived in the US “south” for most of my life personally, I KNOW that any slowness of speech is due directly to the physical exertion required – and, being in the south, where the ambient temperatures get to those typical of a “southern climate,” virtually no one desires to work muscles at a rate that would tend to generate more internal body heat … and that includes a deliberate choice to speak more slowly than do our “northern” neighbors. At least, that’s my story … and I’m stickin’ to it, ya’ll!

But, be that as it may, the time it takes to say “V-1”, out loud, even if you’re a “southerner,” doesn’t take anywhere near as long as some believe it does. I’m NOT saying that if you or your airline desires to call V1 at a lesser speed … that an accident surely cannot be avoided. All I’m saying is that individually choosing some arbitrary point below which some things are more likely NOT to happen … and above which other things are more likely TO happen … is a pretty poor way to approach the understanding of the aerodynamics under which the airplane you’re piloting was certificated.

The bottom line I think is this:
TRUE enough … these “chart speeds” are speeds generated during the certification process. But they translate, and do so directly, into day-to-day operations of your airplane. A knot or two here or there … a second or two there or here … are not likely to cause or prevent any specific result. Tires wear … contaminants build up on runways … brakes wear and get hot and “out-of-round” … runways have hills and valleys … temperatures on the runway are different than what is “reported” by the tower … wings get dented ... and list goes on and on and on. But at some point, there has to be some specific parameters that simply have to be chosen and we owe it to ourselves and to the profession to follow those parameters. What is the purpose of having that information if it is thought to be irrelevant or immaterial? If we’re going to be professional and do what we’re supposed to do … I think we have to make the best of what we’ve been taught, what we are given, and put it all together in the proper way, at the proper time, and do it all professionally. Anything else is simply NOT professional. We each have a choice to make … and I’ve made mine.