PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 9
Thread: MANCHESTER - 9
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2014, 12:07
750XL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, there was at least 12 hours notice that diverts were possible
Granted, but a business can't/won't bring in staff just on the off chance there are diverts. Management will look for answers when thousands of pounds is wasted on staff sitting around doing bugger all.

Secondly, you mention narrowbodies night stopping on wide bodied stands- so with the known potential, there was 12 hours to plan alternative parking.
I believe the two aircraft around 85 (ish) were diverts, so not sure where the alternative is for these two aircraft when the rest of the airport is full.

Thirdly, it's the inconsistancy. CX - sorry no stands, then when established on a divert elsewhere told they could come---but too late. American told no no stands & ends up at Dublin, but then half hour later American 767 accepted & stand found.
Can't comment specifically on that, but perhaps there were some departures, or tows onto contact stands which freed up space for the diverts?

I've no doubt the entire problem is the shoe string staffing situation, with zero contingency. To be fair, why would a hard pressed shoe string run office, running stretched on normal ops put themselves out for diversions?.
Hit the nail on the head there. When you're paid peanuts for an extremely difficult and highly responsible job, why would you then choose to give yourself more work? I can't blame the guys/gals who turn away diverts.

30 years ago MAN had a can do attitude run by passionate airport people. Sadly it's now just a business run by accountants.
I have nothing but admiration for the shop floor people who work there these days under such poor conditions.
Unfortunately the whole airport is penny pinching, service partners and other companies included. Contracts for new staff at the airport are almost laughable, it's practically slave labour

I'm not sure what the answer is, but MAN certainly at times, portrays itself as less than world class. However, it's not just MAN, even the biggies like Frankfurt have provided me with some memorable dreadful experiences.
As I said in an earlier post, MAN isn't the best but isn't the worst, there are a lot of airports in a similar state to MAN with airlines driving down handling costs to unacceptable levels.